Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kitchen Gadgets

I realize that today's post is supposed to be about kitchen must have's. This has been a harder task than I originally thought.  Partially because I have so many friends who sell Pampered Chef.  And you KNOW that I love me some new kitchen gadgets.  Plus, I like dishes, glasses, clocks (which have nothing to do with kitchen stuff) and kitchen gadgets.  I am NOT a big fan of baking stones.  I ducked just in case you just tried to shoot me.  BUT I do love pottery cookware.  So there. 

So what do I use the most? Here's the short list:

Skinny spatula (PC calls these Scrapers)
Regular sized spatula
Regular sized metal whisk
A slotted spoon- larger than a "big spoon" from your flatware set
a short flipper
a large flipper- rectangle and metal is better
potato peeler that the blade rotates

large open skillet with short handles- at least 12 inches wide and a 3-4" lip
medium size skillet- maybe 6-8 inches across
small sauce pan- about 1 quart
medium sauce pan- about 2 quarts with lid
deeper medium size pot with lid 3 or 4 quarts
stock pot- big enough to put a whole chicken into. with a lid.

DON'T BUY NON STICK PANS. End of rant. 

9x13 pan with a portable lid- mine has a rubber lid which is nice for storage.
6x9 pan- or if it says "casserole" dish. These are great for side dishes, and breakfast casseroles
loaf pan (really used most at the holidays or when you decide to make amish friendship bread)
bundt pan- get the biggest one you can find (FYI: the round flat ones are for angel food cakes.) 
9x9 square pan don't get 8x8 because you will make the cake like brownies not the regular ones.  

4 cup glass mixing bowl with lid
a large metal strainer with handles
a 2 cup mixing bowl
a couple of glass 1 cup size bowls for melting butter or mixing up spices in

splurge on these:
crock pot with locking lid- get a super huge one
kitchen aid stand mixer (regular size not professional size) AND kitchen aid hand mixer 
a roasting pan WITH A RACK and preferrably a lid if you don't want to use the roasting bags
stainless measuring cups and spoons (they won't melt in the dishwasher and we need to use the appliances!)
digital kitchen scale (we have a postal scale which we used to weigh our puppies. now it's for me. it's good)

There's more. I will reorganize my thoughts on this and add to and clean up and maybe pictures.  Right? I need a photo of it all. *insert evil laugh* 






No comments:

Post a Comment