Saturday, February 9, 2013

Herb Roasted Chicken

My mom used to subscribe to Cooks Illustrated last year.  She somehow ended up getting 2 copies in the mail each time so naturally, I received the second copy.  That ended last winter when her subscription expired.  I know, *gasp*, she didn't renew.  So a few days ago when I posted about Cooks Illustrated, my friend Joelle went out and bought the latest copy and emailed me a little note with a picture of the cover.  Doesn't this look divine??

I was jealous all over.  I didn't, at that time, have a copy of it and I wanted one.  Who doesn't want to make a dinner in a skillet?! I saw no hands saying "not me" so while checking out at Costco on Wednesday, I scoured the magazine racks for this edition, found it and bought that sucker.  It was like a man hunting. I was only concerned that this magazine not get in the cart by the cold foods, bent or worse, spilled on.  Could have cared less about the rest of the cart of groceries I purchased that day.  Could have cared less

So tonight, I am going to try this.  I have NO idea how it will turn out.  Currently, my whole chicken is frozen.  It would make a better bowling ball than a meal at this point.  But seeing as how it is only 9 am, and I have all day to make it de-thaw.  I think I am good.  Looks like start to finish (if your bird is not frozen solid) will be about 2 hours.  

As a word of advice, when HERBS are the main flavoring for a dish, please PLEASE use fresh.  It tastes 1000 times better than dried.  Dried herbs are good for sauces if you must, but when it's like the main idea of your chicken, say, like HERB ROASTED Chicken.  Use Fresh. Use Fresh. Use Fresh.  

Let me say something here: most recipes do not account for how long it will take you to prep a dish.  So, usually I need to add 15-30 minutes for prep time on any meal.  So, if I want to serve this birdy at 5:30 pm, I will need to start at 3pm.  30 minutes to get it together, and 2 hours of cook time.  Keep that in mind when you are making any dish.  Give yourself plenty of time.  If you are early, it's okay.  I have hardly ever been early, so it would be an act of God/ miracle of nature if my dinner was ever on time.  I love that saying: Don't rush me, I am waiting for the last minute.  :) 

Happy cooking y'all! 

(* I cannot post the link to this recipe because it is only available online if you have a subscription to the magazine.  SO, if you want a scanned copy of this recipe, post your email on the Facebook page and I will get it to you!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment