Friday, February 1, 2013

Scramble an egg do's and don'ts

Today I made my oldest a simple breakfast burrito.  Minus the meat.  We're out.  Story of my life, right?

It was 3 scrambled eggs, 2 tortillas, and 2 oz shredded cheddar cheese.  A little butter, and a little milk.

Notes before you begin: 
When you scramble an egg, you want to be sure your pan is not too hot, but not stone cold.  So to start off, I warmed up (preheated if you will) my skillet to just above the LOW setting.  There are 8 notches on my dial, so it was set between 2 and 3 on the low end.

Let's get started:
First things first: I cracked my ( 3 ) eggs into a small 2 cup glass bowl and added about 3 tablespoons of milk to it.  Like you see here:

Oh... oops, wrong eggs.  Sorry. I sort of forgot to take pictures of my process.  I think I need an assistant. Okay on with it...

FYI the ratio of milk to eggs in any amount is 1 to 1 (TBSP milk).

Then I used a large fork (or a wire whisk) from my flatware (gasp!) and whipped up those suckers. They were a medium to light yellow.  I hate the color yellow so if you like yellow, then it was a beautiful buttery yellow.  Now, Set it all aside.

When scrambling an egg, most people choose a pan that is either too small or too big.  Mostly too small.  You know the saying, right "go big or go home" and that kind of applies to eggs.  Choose a pan that is going to hold your egg mixture adequately.  The liquid should  stand 1/4 to 1/2" in the pan. You want the eggs to cook somewhat quickly, but not take a fort night to get done. For my 3 eggs I used about an 8" across skillet.

Between the pan size, heat, and egg to milk ratio, if you have this right, you will have perfect eggs every time.

Another this or that FAQ: Some folks will use cooking spray, which is fine too, but be aware that it will burn faster so just watch that if you prefer spray. PC (Pampered Chef) makes a kitchen spritzer bottle for the make your own kind, which I think is cool by the way.  Make sure what you melt or spray is just enough to make the bottom of the pan slick, but not overly so. Butter is NOT interchangeable with "yogurt spread, margarine, or I can't believe it's not butter."  These spreads will separate into water, oil and yellow stuff.  Weird and not healthy. Avoid. Do not substitute. No thank you.

Listen to your eggs when you make them. When you add your eggs to the warmed butter, you should hear NO NOISE or no LOUD frying noise.  If you do, the pan is too hot and you will probably have some brown spots. If this is the case, flip it over fast and make a mental note to use a lower setting next time.

Watch the edges of the pan to see if it starts to firm up before you start stirring.  Then make a big swipe around the pan with your spatula, fork, scraper or spoon. Be careful NOT to over stir the eggs.  This will cause them to lose their fluffy nature.  I think I stirred these eggs from the FB picture this morning about 6 times total.  That's all.

I'm sure you've got this from here, right? After all, you don't want the eggs runny. Gross.  So watch for them to be done.  Like a cake, if it's gooey in the center or on top of the pieces, flip them around and make sure it is done for good.

That's all there is to it. Really easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment