Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What's in Season?

Often, I wonder as I surf the local grocery store ads, what is really in season and what is not.  Prices fluctuate, and that frustrates me.  I can buy 16oz of strawberries for $1.88 some times and others they are 2/$5 what the heck? Well, they're out of season.  Duh. (That duh was for me, not you!)  We love strawberries around our house, and well, right now, I think there is really only a few good ones in each box at this point.

So what's in season?  I found this great resource on the Dallas Farmer's Market website (just go there if you can it's a wonderful place) that tells you what to buy during which months for best produce.  There's also a seasonal list on organic.org too.

February: Broccoli (cancer fighting!), cauliflower, grapefruit, lemons, oranges, papayas, Tangelos.

The challenge is to make dishes with these fruits and veggies that are in season.  This list contains no must have organic items, but if you are really conscious about "The Dirty Dozen" go to Organic.org, and download this years list.  I find that funny that there's a yearly list, but I think as we know more, we can be more educated on what is safest.

If you are a salmon lover, you really should try this recipe from the food network: Salmon Kebobs with Quinoa and Grapefruit



No comments:

Post a Comment